Tuesday, January 16, 2007

My Game Against GM Susan Polgar

GM Susan Polgar, 4-time Women's World Champion, gave a simultaneous chess in Atlanta, Georgia as part of Kay Umeakunne's Mighty Knights and Lady Bughouse chess camps in June 2005. She was at Stonecrest Mall Borders in Lithonia, Georgia one day earlier giving a lecture, conducting a Q&A, and signing copies of her new book A World Champion's Guide To Chess. The Simultaneous Exhibition was held at the Mountain Park Activity Building, Stone Mountain where we 21 chess players participated in 21 different boards.

Date: 06/24/2005 Atlanta, Georgia
Event: Simultaneous Display By GM Susan Polgar

White: GM Susan Polgar (2570)
Black: Ashik Uzzaman (1642)

I was 1 hour late to arrive the stone mountain as I lost the road in the hill. After taking help from an old man, I could manage a taxi cab and when I reached the Mountain Park Activity Building, I narrowly managed to join the simul providing my entry fee. Among the 21 boards, Kazim's game finished last and all lost except me. I accepted a draw offer from her after 33 moves in a winning position, showing honor to a grand master. Though its not a serious game, but for an average player like me, its a good achievement.

3 comments:

Tom Chivers said...

Is the final position not in fact very good for black, due to the inevitable loss of the f6 pawn, and your space advantage, and the nearly-buried h2 bishop?!

Ashik Uzzaman said...

Yes Tom, its a forced win for black. A simple Queen maneuvre of QxF6, Qxh4, Qh3, Qxe3, Qf3+ are all inevitable with his h2 Bishop being useless as well as my rook doubling in d-file. But it was a simul and Susan was tired and was concentrating more on a 1 pawn up rook ending in my left board (against our Atlanta Chess Center local star Kazim) which she eventually won. Probably seeing my low rating she really didn't concentrate much on my game. So I thaguht to honor her when she offered me a draw.

Nigel Hanrahan said...

Hi Ashik:

I noticed that you've made use of Chess Publisher here on your blog. I just started a blog myself and would like to do the same. It's nice to be able to make use of a game viewer rather than simply showing a static position on the board.

My blog is over here:

http://exclam-online.blogspot.com/

Anyway, I went through the process of pasting a pgn game file (one game only) into the appropriate field, copying the html, opening a new entry in my blog, pasting the html into that entry, viewing the whole thing in my blog preview ... it was all fine right up until this point. And then ....

And then I got an error message as follows: “Your HTML cannot be accepted: Tags cannot enclose tags”

Now, I'm far from an html expert. In fact, I'm more like a beginner. But, having a look at the tags in the html that I pasted into the blog entry, there are the following tags ...

There is "<" followed by "iframe src=" and then the url, etc. with the ">" which is then followed by "< iframe >" and a tag that reads "< br >". (no spaces) I don't see how that is tags enclosed within tags. I have a feeling that this is a simple fix but I just can't figure it out.

Any suggestions?

Much thanks,

Nigel Hanrahan
Winnipeg